Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hoorah... pronounced OohRah

So today finally came, and Jack and I woke up at the crack of dawn (3:30am) to take Jared to the grinder (why they call it that I don't know) where he boarded a bus to take him to an air field to fly to Afghanistan.

It was a beautiful California morning, and it was pretty amazing to see our men and women in uniform stand at attention as the colors went up for the day. There is a level of respect on a Marine base that you don't see in every day life.

We had plenty of time to say goodbye--the buses didn't leave until 9:20am--and the mood among all families was relatively happy. A few tears were shed here and there, but for the most part there is a military pride that seems to squash all the emotional drama of saying goodbye.

Jared and I are doing OK with this deployment. We've known for months that this would take place, and we feel comforted in knowing this will be for a short while and that he will return home safely in seven months. Jared's attitude is really great as he sees this as being part of history. And this is. More than ever I support our troops and am so grateful to live in our great country, America.

Knowing this is for a short while and feeling confident all will be well still doesn't take away the loneliness though. Now that I'm home, the house is extremely quiet and I'm missing Jared a lot. We were told by those who've deployed before that the first and last month are the hardest and the middle months seem to fly by. I hope they are right!

Here are some pics from this morning.

Jack was really snuggly this morning:)



Nice family photo... Jack was out most of the morning.


Jared and leadership inspecting the formation.

This is the formation to inspect weapons.


And this is Jack all bundled up... it does get cold in CA sometimes.




9 comments:

  1. I am glad the day finally arrived! Now we can count DOWN!!! I am so proud of Jared..HE IS MY HERO!!!! Because of him and the others who put their lives on the line, I enjoy everyday the freedoms this country gives. Thanx Kris for posting. Great blog.Precious family. You will be together again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you have to be alone...I hope the times goes quickly for you. If you feel the need to hop on over to Salt Lake for a bit...there would be no complaining on my end:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures Kristina! I'm sure the months will fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great pictures of Jack and Jared together. You guys have been in my thoughts a lot lately and will always been in my prayers until Jared is back home. You will have to come visit and bring grandpa's angel up to see us. We are proud of Jared and his decision to serve our country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome post Kris. The pictures are great. Jared looks handsome in his uniform. I sure have thought a lot about you and Jared today. Jared will serve our country well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sobering. And I feel such gratitude and respect for people like Jared AND their families, sacrificing for our country. Praying for you both and hoping this is the fastest 7 months of your lives! Love the pictures. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooorah! Great post babe...sitting in Bangor Maine, waiting to take leg 2 of a 4 leg journey. Very hard to say goodbye, but thank you for all the prayers and well wishes.

    Jared

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel such a sense of pride in seeing Jared in uniform with all the other brave men and women! I loved reading your post, and thanks for posting it so quickly. You guys have been on my mind all week and it was comforting to see the pictures. Kris, hang in there. We are praying for you 3 morning and night! Please come visit. Love, Steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know that Jared was going to be deployed! Oh my heart goes out to both of you. I have such a great respect for those that are serving our country and moreso for the wives who are home holding down the fort.

    Not that this compares in any way, but Dax has been traveling A LOT lately, and being home alone is hard even with an end in sight. My prayers are with you both and hoping that this seven months just flies by. Come to Boise and play with us - we miss you.

    Breya

    ReplyDelete